Thursday, January 12, 2012

Eating Habits of the Famous to This Mom Can't Cook

So I've been reading a lot lately how the stars eating habits. All I can think is "wow, their reality must be amazing!", "Are their kids not begging bite, bite, bite, mommy??", "How the hell can they find the time to fit that many meals in?" In my reality their eating daily habits make me just giggle, well...no..laugh out loud. Hearing the famous say "for breakfast I have an english muffin, 2 egg whites, blah blah blah, then for a morning snack....lunch I have....then afternoon I have...for dinner I have lean meat or fish and steamed veggies...and then I splurge on....(something completely healthy)". So it really got me thinking of what my typical day looks like.

Keep in mind it is January, meaning cootie season for those with young and school age kids. Cooties, a toddler and a diva princess 6 year old, and just life in general and my reality looks a little like this: Kids are up at 5:45 a.m., why you ask? Because there is still 45 minutes to sleep before the alarm goes off and we just need to be up and at 'em. Time to battle the kindergartener for the next hour and half. First over a shower, it's too cold...then too hot even though the temperature hasn't' changed one bit. Next she doesn't want her hair a pony tail and wants a head band. Who knew since she has only been wearing head bands for the last 3 months. Now onto breakfast, with all the choices she chooses "NOTHING" in her snotty 6 year old voice but decides dry cereal is fine. I'm longingly looking at my Keurig for a cup of coffee to magically appear, but I turn it on as I grab her milk out of the fridge. My two year out swoops in and screams for lemonade, which we don't have nor would I let her have at this time of morning and decides on string cheese and go-gurt, whatever. After getting my 6 year old fed, it's the battle of shoes, hat, and coat which actually went quite smoothly today but on most days is a disaster in it's self because you have to "be cool" so if we can't find the Angry Bird hat it's total melt down. Finally we have her off to the bus and I can start, not drink, but start my cup of coffee. My toddler has just been hanging out enjoying her cheese and go-gurt and bitching about "I no like the news". I just have been ignoring her requests for the ever irritating Spongebob or Max and Ruby. My husband returns from taking our 6 year old from the bus and my toddler proceeds to talk him into gingerbread marshmellows and lemonaide for more breakfast! I quickly shoot that idea down. Finally she goes to her room and gets involved in her Mickey and Mini dolls and I can enjoy a few sips of coffee and by now it's 8:15. After starting laundry, loading the dishwasher, and all those other little morning things mom's do it's 9:30 and I am giving my toddler her second breakfast and starting mine. I think about those breakfasts I've been reading about "hmmmmm" I say. Well here is what my breakfast looks like: 2 eggs over easy (the yokes nice and extra runny so my toddler say "grosssss I no want none"), and English muffin with homemade jam that I made (nothing organic), and slamming down the rest of my cold coffee. As for a morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, and even snack...well....I have kids, a husband, and well life gets in my way sometimes. That breakfast is often all of those for me, dammit I need my egg yokes sometimes. Then it's off to do the daily things like making lunch, naptime which is my favorite time of day. During naptime I get house work done, do my business work, and those kind of things. Then it's off to pick up the 6 year old from the bus. By then she is crabby and tired from school and picking fights with her sister, yeah! Snack time for both of them and when I'm lucky they will play good together until dinner. If not, I referee while making dinner and doing odd things that need to be done. You know, a mother work, is never done. lol By dinner, if I do take time to eat dinner, I need something a little more than lean meat and 4 pieces of broccoli as my energy supply as been completely depleted by a raging toddler and a diva princess 6 year old. I like to think we will all sit down as a family and eat dinner each and every night but it doesn't always happen with our schedule. So the girls usually eat much earlier since my husband works later hours. While I will sit with them I don't always get the chance to eat as I'm cutting up food, serving food, doing the kid thing. It just happen, no biggie, just the way things are. And well, if I do treat myself to an evening snack after the girls go to bed it's usually a cocktail as a reward for just making it through the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment